Morningside/ Lenox Park (30306, 30324) is a neighborhood in the northeast section of the City of Atlanta, founded in 1931. Its early history goes back to a small community called Easton, which dates back to the late 1800s. A Jewish community located here in the 1920s and founded the Shearith Israel synagogue. The Morningside Park area was built about 1923 as a “new type of suburb” where commuters traveled by streetcar or if wealthy, by automobile. The new development prospered, especially after being annexed by Atlanta in 1925. Morningside Elementary School opened in 1929, which helped establish a firm identity for the neighborhood. Lenox Park opened in 1931, featuring homes designed by Atlanta architects Ivy and Crook. In 1965, the neighborhood association incorporated to fight development of a freeway which would have split the area and destroyed its identity.
This effort paid off with the preservation of the neighborhood, which now is highly desirable because of its beautiful landscaping and distinctive architecture. Since the area remained stable during the “white flight” of the 1970s and 1980s, it has prospered as intown living has become more and more popular. Morningside/ Lenox Park has a mix of thriving residential neighborhoods and an eclectic mix of businesses and entertainment facilities.